Home to the world-renowned Northwestern University, Evanston, a city of 78,000 people, offers wide sandy beaches, historic mansions on landscaped boulevards, tree-lined bicycle paths and beautiful parks make the city a popular lakefront destination. Evanston also boasts one of the largest and most diverse arts and theatre communities in the entire state, and its world-class dining options make Evanston one of the North Shore's most vibrant and inviting communities.
Evanston's Must-See Checklist:
- Northwestern University A part of the Big Ten Conference, the university is flanked by the sparkling waters of Lake Michigan. This esteemed university combines innovative teaching and pioneering research in a highly collaborative environment. Sports fans can cheer on Chicago’s Big Ten Team, the Northwestern Wildcats, as they offer an array of exciting varsity sports from football to lacrosse.
- Evanston History Center Located in the magnificent Charles Gates Dawes House, a chateau-style mansion overlooking Lake Michigan and home of the 30th Vice President of the United States, the Evanston History Center offers home tours and lectures. The Evanston History Center also offers docent-led walking tours throughout the neighborhood, which was home to Daniel Burnham.
- Block Museum of Art Located on Northwestern’s campus, the museum seeks to present art across time, cultures and media as well as convene discussions in which art is a springboard for exploring issues and ideas.
- Mitchell Museum of the American Indian One of only a handful of museums across the country that focuses exclusively on the art, history and culture of Native American and First Nation peoples from throughout the U.S. and Canada, the Mitchell Museum of the American Indian promotes public understanding of cultural diversity through first voice perspectives.
- Halim Time & Glass Museum This vibrant one-of-a-king collection houses over 1,100 pieces of unique stained glass and time pieces including more than 30 masterpiece windows telling the story of the American School of Stained Glass. Tiffany, Tillinghast, Lamb and Sperry to name a few.
- Grosse Point Lighthouse This landmark has stood watch over Evanston's Lake Michigan shoreline since 1873!
- Evanston’s Vibrant Art Scene Click here for your guide to the best arts and cultural events Evanston has to offer!
- Evanston's Spectacular Lakefront The city's beaches offer breathtaking views of Chicago and also feature a variety of activities including swimming, sailing, windsurfing and boating.
- Evanston's One-Of-A-Kind Shopping Districts Visit all of Evanston’s signature neighborhood stores and boutiques, each with their own unique style and flare. Click the following links for more information: Downtown Evanston, Central Street Evanston, Main-Dempster Mile.
- Diner’s Delight With close to 90 cafes and restaurants, from award-winning Italian and Japanese cuisine to French, Asian and regional American specialties, Evanston's dining scene promises an exciting culinary experience guaranteed to satisfy even the most sophisticated palate.
- Breweries and Distilleries Evanston is chock full of breweries sure to please even the savviest of craft beer drinkers. If you’re looking for a brewery tour, you’ll want to pay a visit to Peckish Pig. Be sure to leave room for a delicious meal before or after your tour! Also noteworthy is the Tap Room at Temperance Beer Company where you can kick back, order some local fare from nearby restaurants and enjoy the beer at its freshest. If whiskey or gin is more your thing, be sure to check out Few Spirits, the first distillery in the home of the Temperance Movement. You can tour the distillery and take home a souvenir or two. Don't miss Double Clutch Brewing Co. either. With tours, tastings and unique entertainment, this brewery is sure to delight.
Evanston is the first suburb north of Chicago. Located on Lake Michigan, Evanston is easily accessible by CTA (Chicago Transit Authority) bus routes and trains running to and from Chicago, the surrounding suburbs and the airports as well as by Metra, the commuter rail system.
Return to main community page