A dynamic community rich in history with its ties to the U.S. Navy, Glenview offers incredible options for learning, recreation, shopping and dining. You'll enjoy sophisticated attractions while getting a taste of the village's natural beauty and unique heritage.
GLENVIEW'S MUST-SEE CHECKLIST:
- Abt Electronics Voted “Greenest A/V Retailer in the Country” for its recycling efforts, Abt's 80,000-square-foot showroom features an Apple and Sony boutique, a 7,500-gallon salt-water aquarium and a soaring atrium that evokes the famed Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas. A massive 85-inch Samsung Ultra HD TV can be yours for just $40,000 at Abt Electronics, which has become a beta testing ground for major manufacturers' products, and is the only store of its kind in the U.S.
- The Glen Town Center The Glen Town Center pays tribute to the former U.S. Naval Air Station that occupied The Glen until the mid-1990s. From 1935-1993, the station played an important role in four major wars and was the training ground for thousands of navy recruits including former U.S. President George H. Bush. Anchored by luxury department store Von Maur, the Glen Town Center offers distinctive shops with everything from games to art, unique restaurants, and entertainment for the whole family.
- Naval Air Station Glenview Museum Dedicated to preserving the memory and history of the men and women who served at the naval air station in Glenview, the museum captures a significant piece of the village's history.
- Kohl Children's Museum A visit to the Kohl Children's Museum is a must for children ages birth to 8 as each hands-on exhibit is designed to make learning fun and fascinating. Kids can fill up their carts at the replica grocery store or ring up purchases as cashiers at checkout. They can care for pets at a veterinarian's office, explore the properties of water, and learn how to take care of babies at a day care center inhabited by dolls.
- Downtown Glenview Offering numerous shopping options, downtown Glenview has several stores featuring antiques and collectibles. Collectors of coins, jewelry, figurines, trains, and treasures of all kinds will enjoy this district.
- The Glen Club Located at the former site of the Glenview Naval Air Station and home to the PGA Nationwide Tour's LaSalle Bank Open, Tom Fazio's North Shore masterpiece has become Chicago's premier golf address. The Glen Club sits at the heart of a 195-acre refuge that features rolling terrain, dramatic elevation changes, tranquil lakes, meandering streams and stunning vistas, including Chicago's skyline in the distance.
- The Grove A wondrous world of nature's treasures awaits you on this 123-acre ecologically diverse prairie land. Venture through mature oak forests, wander past wetland pools and stop to watch a family of turtles sunning themselves on a log. Don't forget to check out the Kennicott House and Redfield Estate, The Grove Interpretive Center, a Native American Village, Log Cabin, One-Room Schoolhouse and the Wetland Greenhouse. Not only is The Grove National Historic Landmark great for exploration, the property is the perfect venue for events. Look into planning your next event at the gorgeous Redfield Estate, a historic home with simple elegance and a charming atmosphere in a stunning garden-like setting.
- Wagner Farm If your kids think that milk comes from a carton and corn comes from a can, it's time for a trip to Wagner Farm. This 18-acre homestead was preserved for educational and recreational purposes, so head down and milk a cow, hear the rooster's crow and explore rural life as it existed in the early-to-mid 1990s.
- Air Station Prairie This 32-acre site is preserved with rare prairie vegetation and is home to the Evelyn P. Tyner Interpretive Center. View rare native vegetation close up via walking paths, discover more than 160 plant species native to the prairie and look for red-tailed hawks circling in the sky.
Located just 18 miles north of downtown Chicago, Glenview is centrally located between I-94 (Edens Expressway) and I-294 (Tri-State Tollway). Visitors have their choice of two Metra train stops, one of which is also serviced by Amtrak.
Return to main community page
8833 Gross Point Rd., Ste. 307, Skokie, IL. 60077
ph 847.763.0011 | fx 847.763.0022
Developed by J Rudny, LLC
© Copyright 2006-2021 Chicago's North Shore Convention & Visitors Bureau. All Rights Reserved All Rights Reserved.